Sunday, 21 January 2018

6 Box of Shame Finishes

Good afternoon all!

I'm still on a roll making ornaments... so may I present another 6 finished Box Of Shame pieces.

These are the Christmas Pals Ornaments by Dimensions which I stitched as part of my 31 new starts for Debbie's Ultimate Crazy January Challenge 2016. I finished the first four in 2016 and the other two in 2017.

Using my usual finishing technique, they are all the same, only with different colour marble-effect backing fabric and matching (or as near as possible) barley twist cord:




These give a better indication of the backing fabric:








And (because I'm feeling just a little bit proud of myself) I thought I'd show them all individually too:








I must admit, having finished 18 ornaments so far this year, I now find it hard to understand my previous aversion to doing them; there's nothing to it really except having time and a bit of patience for the fiddly bits.

I might take a bit of a finishing break for a while (I think I deserve it!) but, since I am also eager to continue and already have appropriate backing fabric and cord for all but one of my remaining ornament pieces, there could be more finished-finishes soon...

Take care,
Rachel x

Monday, 15 January 2018

12 Box of Shame Finishes

Good morning!

I think I might just be living proof that miracles do happen because... I've done it... I've actually finished off some ornaments from my Box of Shame! And because I'm so proud of my achievement this is quite a picture-heavy post.

One of my major flaws over the last few years has been not enjoying finishing off my cross-stitches as ornaments. Although they give a sense of satisfaction once completed, my head tells me that creating ornaments at an hour and a half each is taking valuable time away from stitching. But, for some reason, 2018 has brought a complete change of attitude and I have plunged into my Box of Shame with unprecedented enthusiasm!

And do you know what? I actually enjoyed making every single one of them. In fact, once the ball was rolling I couldn't stop!

So, what have I finished?

Well, back in 2015 I stitched the 12 Lizzie Kate Monthly Flip-It Stamps (changing November's from a turkey to a poppy) each one during its relevant month. I knew that I wanted to finish them as hanging ornaments and I knew I wanted each one to have a different backing fabric with coordinating barley twist cord.

Here are the fabrics (all by Tilda) and finished designs before I started working on them:












  

And... drum roll please... here are the twelve completed ornaments:




And individually...














Yes I know they're all the same but my mind just wouldn't let me finish them differently.

Each ornament was interfaced before being hand sewn and finished off with 2mm barley twist cord in a colour to match the background of the month, or at least as close as I could get. Admittedly the first couple took quite a while but once I'd mastered the corners, the stuffing and the cord the remainder were finished off much more efficiently.

Having now stitched them together, a couple of the backing fabrics don't really work but I'm extremely happy with the rest of them.

I am over the moon that they are all completed and no longer in my Box Of Shame; it's an achievement I can definitely be very proud of considering how long they've been in there. Now they'll each get a month's outing on our calendar and will no longer cause me guilt!

And now I'm on a roll (and have filled in a good proportion of my Box Of Shame status bar) I've got no excuse not to do more, so watch this space - the miracle may continue!

Take care,
Rachel x